Pocket-sized Grounding Kit
What do I need?
- An index card-sized file folder
- Index cards
- rubber band
- red marker (optional)
Where do I start?
First, you want to decide what sections you want. Here are some ideas, though feel free to create your own.
- Grounding exercises
- Inspirational quotes
- Notes from friends, family or therapist (can be collected)
- Religious/Bible quotes or sayings
- Pictures that are meaningful
- Goals you want to accomplish
- Neutral comebacks (i.e. “Do you think so?” “How interesting.” “That’s nice.”)
- Emergency hotlines, friends or supports to call
Next, create some index cards for each category. The stone, rubber band and marker are in case you need them for grounding exercises. I have clients who keep the marker in the kit so that they can use it if they feel the urge to cut. The pen is so you can add things as you go.
Now you have kit, will travel!